Friday, September 9, 2011

Oldie but Goodie...Book Recommendation!



My neighborhood is several miles away from an air force base, and in the past, residents of closer neighborhoods have complained about the amount of jet noise. Driving home this morning, I saw a bumper sticker clearly responding to those complaints that read, "Jet Noise: the Sound of Freedom." While I understand the sentiment, my immediate response was, "Depends on whose jet it is!"


This reminded me of one of my favorite YA books of all time: John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began. In it, a group of Australian teens are on a two-week camping trip when one of them hears jets flying overhead in the night. Dismissing it as a dream, she forgets about it until they return from to discover the town deserted, their families in internment camps and the country invaded. The teens must decide: do they turn themselves in and join their families, return to their campsite and hide out, or stay and fight back?  Tomorrow, When the War Began starts the awesomely intense seven-book Tomorrow series (plus a companion series, The Ellie Chronicles), and is a great read - especially if you've finished The Hunger Games and need something to tide you over while you wait for the movie!


(Tomorrow has been made into an Australian movie - trailer below - but I've not seen it...)



No comments:

Post a Comment